This recipe is a ‘one bowl wonder’ only taking 5 minutes of your time. Best thing is, there’s hardly any washing up.
We have devised a healthier version, and a slightly naughty version. You take your pick, you will find options throughout the recipe, including a gluten and dairy free option.
- We have replaced butter with olive oil to provide heart healthy monounsturated fats
- We have used lots of cocoa powder which is rich in antioxidants and very low in fat and no sugar, rather than chocolate which is high in fat and sugar
- We have replaced sugar with Natvia (an all natural sweetener) or Rapidura (a low GI sugar). You can find lots of great information on Natvia on their website here. It has 0.6calories per teaspoon as opposed to sugar which has 16 calories per teaspoon. Similarly you could use coconut sugar which is also a low GI sugar.
- We’ve used a small amount of dark chocolate as opposed to most puddings which use a large amount of chocolate as the base
- The portion size is perfect for those keeping an eye on their waist line
Before we get going, this recipe is cooked in the microwave, however if you don’t like using a microwave you can simply bake in the oven on 180 degrees in oven proof dishes. Cooking times will vary greatly depending on size of dish.
- 4 tbsp self raising flour (or almond meal for a gluten free alternative)
- 2 tbsp Natvia, Rapidura or coconut sugar (or you can replace with equal quantity of your choice of sugar)
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk (rice milk, almond milk or oat milk will also work as a dairy alternative)
- 3 tbsp olive or sunflower oil (or melted butter)
- 3 tbsp good quality dark chocolate chopped finely (you can find dairy and gluten free chocolate in health food stores)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Variations: 1 tsp instant coffee powder/1 tbsp orange zest/ 3 chopped fresh dates
- In a large bowl, place all dry ingredients (flour, natvia, cocoa) and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Into this bowl, add the wet ingredients (egg, milk, oil, vanilla essence) and the chopped chocolate.
- Add the variations if using any.
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Divide mixture amongst 2 microwave safe mugs.
- Optional variation: Place a teaspoon of peanut butter in the centre of the filled mug and mixture YUM!).
- Place in microwave and cook one at a time
- Cooking times will vary as microwaves settings are very different form one another. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute and check to see if cooked. Pudding should be firm but will also have a soft centre. Continue to cook on 10 second intervals until cooked to your liking.
- If using the oven,180 degrees in small oven proof dishes. Cook for approx 10 minutes though depending upon the size of the dish used, cooking time may take up to 20 minutes.
KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD LOVE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT!