Sink your teeth into these healthy, flavoursome and easy chips using beetroot. They are baked, not fried and look pretty sexy don’t you think?
- 2-3 large beetroots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp vinegar (apple cider vinegar is perfect).
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Wash beetroots well and peel.
- Slice beetroots finely with a mandolin or ery sharp knife. The thinner the better.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Lay the sliced beetroots on the tray
- Sprinkle with vinegar and salt
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutess, checking every ten minutes to make sure the chips are not burning.
- They should start to crisp up from the outside.
- Turn the oven off and leave in the oven for at least a further 30 minutes
- Cooking times will vary greatly depending on the thickness and size of the beetroots. Be prepared to bake for an hour or longer, checking every 10 minutes
- Omit salt if you have high blood pressure
- Sprinkle with pepper and paprika to serve
- Coat with finely shopped rosemary before baking.
- Serve with a dip made from natural yoghurt and lemon juice.
Beetroot is a deliciously sweet root vegetable. Its versatility lends it to be a great accompaniment to roast dinners, salads, or a feature of a dish such as a risotto or chocolate beetroot cake.
The wonderful deep red colour comes from the abundance of a type of phytonutrient called Betalains. These natural pigments have shown to have antioxidant, anti inflammatory and detoxification benefits on the body.
In terms of vitamins and minerals, beetroot is rich in Folate, Manganese, Fibre, Potassium and Vitamin C.