We love a warming curry, and I find that the yellow curry is sweeter and not as hot.
This recipe uses Evaporated Milk – coconut flavoured (available from all supermarkets) to replace the coconut milk. This significantly reduces the fat content of the dish. However, if this isn’t a concern for you, feel free to use coconut milk.
To make the recipe suitable for vegetarians, instead of pork mince stir through a can of cooked chick peas or lentils as the last step.
1 tbsp yellow curry paste* (more or less depending upon taste. If you don’t like spicy, start out with a little bit of paste and add as you cook, tasting as you go).
500g Pork mince (you could also use chicken or turkey mince)
- 1 0nion chopped finely
- 1 tin (225g) bamboo shoots drained (available from all supermarkets).
- ½ of a 440 g tin of diced pineapple segments + ½ of the juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 cup evaporated milk – coconut flavoured (this is to make the recipe low in fat, you could also use coconut milk if you wish)
- 2 tbsp Massel vegetable (or chicken) stock powder, or 1 stock cube.
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or you can also use cornflour)
- 1 bunch bok choy (or any green leafy vegetable such as spinach, cabbage)