I felt like icecream lastnight, and all I could rummage from the kitchen was a single can of coconut milk. I went scratching around the kitchen further and came up with a stalk of lemon grass and a knob of ginger. Ta-da! A recipe was born.
I used an icecream machine, but if you don’t have one just freeze the mixture then blend when you are ready to eat it for a slushy. Yummo.
If you don’t like ginger or lemon grass, just omit from the recipe
- 2 thumb sized pieces of ginger thinly sliced in discs
- 2 lemon grass stalk.
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey
- 1 cup coconut milk (we like Nakula)
- 1 cup milk (or for a dairy free alternative mix half a cup of coconut milk with half a cup of water)
- Peel ginger and slice into thin slices
- Remove the green outer layers from the lemon grass
- Tie these green outer layers together in a knot (they contain flavour)
- Slice the remaining young pieces of lemon grass thinly
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring mixture to the boil
- Once mixture reaches the boil, turn the heat off and leave to infuse for at least 30mins.
- Strain mixture and chill before churning in an icecream machine, or freeze to make slushies.
- For a little bit of extra heat and flavour, reserve the sliced ginger when straining the mixture and use it to serve with the icecream. It’s delicious and sweet.
- Top with delicious coconut
You might also want to take a peek at our