This recipe was born after looking at my kitchen bench. For some unknown reason, there was a packet of black sesame seeds, a jar of palm sugar syrup, rice malt syrup and a can of coconut cream sitting on my bench that hadn’t been put away after a cooking session.
I looked at this little group of ingredients and instantly had memories of the delicious black sesame icecream that The Chef makes at the restaurant Wasabi, and I just had to make it.
The good thing about this icecream is that you don’t need an icecream maker, and it only uses the four ingredients. The ingredients aren’t hard to come by, all of these were purchased from the supermarket. It’s not calorie free, but the sesame seeds contain wonderful nutrients and taste divine. If you don’t have black sesame seeds, white are fine.
The only difference between white and black sesame seeds is that the black seeds are unhulled, meaning the outer layer has not been removed. they have a unique gentle nutty flavour and it is a way of packing some more nutrition into the day. As you may already know, I am constantly on the quest to find things to ADD to my diet rather than things to restrict.
Sesame Seeds are loaded full of fibre which helps maintain a healthy digestive system, prevent colon cancer and lower cholesterol. They also contain manganese and copper and are a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1 and zinc.
What is most exciting about sesame seeds is that they contain tryptophan, and amino acid that gets converted in the brain to the neurotransmitter ‘serotonin’. Neurotransmitters help to transport electrical messages from nerve to nerve in the brain and other cells. It is also very important in enhancing our mood and regulating sleep. What a bonus!
- 1 can coconut cream (400ml)
- 1/4 cup palm sugar syrup, maple syrup or honey.
- 1/2 cup black or white sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp rice malt syrup (this prevents ice crystals from forming and creates a delicious smooth texture).
- Optional to serve: Sesame seeds and coconut flakes
- Place the sesame seeds in a hot pan without oil.
- Staying with the pan, the sesame seeds will start to pop as they heat. Keep shaking the pan from side to side to prevent the seeds from burning.
- Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Allow the seeds to cool
- In a blender place all ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined.
- If you do have an icecream machine, place mixture in machine and churn to manufacturers instructions. If you don’t have an icecream machine, continue on with the following instructions.
- Pour into an air tight container and place in the freezer.
- Remove from the freezer every hour and pour back into your blender.
- Blend until thoroughly combined. This prevents ice crystals from forming.
- Repeat this three times.
- Allow to freeze over night.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and coconut flakes.
Stay happy and healthy.
The Nutrition Guru and The Chef
While you are here, take a peek at our Coconut Icecream with Ginger and Lemongrass recipe
2 thoughts on “Black Sesame and Coconut Icecream”
Wow, this recipe sounds great!
Pingback: Black Sesame and Coconut Ice cream | EatSeed.com