It’s Summer in Australia and it’s lovely and hot. When it’s hot we always feel like icecream. Often we will treat ourselves at our local fabulous icecream joint, but our waistlines wouldn’t be happy with us if we did that every day.
So, to fulfill our sweet urge, increase our fruit intake, make sure we have an afternoon snack (the best way to prevent the 3’oclock afternoon Tim Tam binge), we often make some sort of fruity yoghurt treat.
This type of thing is absolutely perfect for Christmas as it’s light and healthy, looks cute and provides an alternative to heavy pudding and trifle.
We had these recently at a breakfast BBQ by the river, and they were a real hit. I simply packed all the fruit and a tub of yoghurt in a cooler bag, with a box of plastic wine glasses and did all the layering at the picnic. Perfect.
So get your cups out and start layering.
As you know, we are not big on ‘recipes’ where you follow them to a T. Instead, put your creative cap on and come up with your own fruity delight using whatever is in your fridge.
What did we use?
- Natural yoghurt
- Fresh young coconut meat (we bought a fresh coconut from the supermarket, drank the nutritious water from the middle and scooped out the delicious meat from inside, heaven. If you haven’t tried it it’s deliciously sweet and soft).
- Pomegranate seeds
- Layer them as you please in cups/glasses/bowls
How to remove pomegranate seeds
Absolutely jam packed full of antioxidants, these are a must have fruit. We love the tangy sweet flavour and pops of juice you get once you bite down on one of the tiny seeds.
- Slice pomegranate in half
- Take one half and gold it with the seeds facing down over a chopping board or bowl, something to catch the seeds
- Tap the back of the pomegranate with a bread knife or wooden spoon
- Seeds will fall from the fruit, ready to eat
- Seeds can also be stored in the freezer
You might also like
Mango Lassi (thenutritionguruandthechef.wordpress.com)
Baked Bananas (thenutritionguruandthechef.wordpress.com)
Another one you can take to a picnic….our Strawberry Sunshine Cups
Stay happy and healthy…The Nutrition Guru and The Chef x