After 3 days I’m a raging lunatic and end up buying 3 blocks of the most sugar laden chocolate I can find and I eat the 3 of them in the space of 3 minutes.
Instead, over time I have learned that I can have a square of chocolate and life is grand.
My waistline doesn’t pay for it and neither does my mood (or the poor Chef who cops my rage when I deny myself chocolate).
I purchase good quality dark chocolate and melt it down to make a delicious thin slab. I add all sorts of lovelies to it and then break it into pieces and store in a jar as my little chocolate heaven.
- Block of good quality dark chocolate
- If you have intolerances, there are plenty of gluten free, dairy free chocolates available now that you can use
- Pistachio nuts
- Macadamia nuts
- Chia Seeds
- Goji Berries
- Unsweetened Cranberries
- Sunflower seeds
- Inca Berries
- You will need a baking tray lined with GREASE PROOF baking paper.
- Place the nuts in a plastic bag and tie the end to create a knot. With a rolling pin, crush the nuts.
- In a saucepan on very low heat, melt the chocolate until 75% melted. Do not stir
- Remove from the heat and stir briskly to melt the remaining chocolate
- Quickly pour the chocolate onto the lined baking tray
- Pick up the baking tray and tip from side to side in order the let the chocolate spread into a thin layer.
- While the chocolate is still in liquid form, scatter with your topping ingredients.
- Leave on the bench, or place in the fridge to go hard.
- Once hard, break the slab into pieces and store in an airtight container.
The toppings are endless, set forth and create your own!
Or, why not pour the warm melted chocolate on top of you next cake and sprinkle with the nuts and fruit for a delicious and beautiful looking topping.