This Easy Chinese Chicken and Corn soup is a regular meal in our house, simply because it’s just such an easy recipe. Stock, cans of corn, and a bbq chicken from the supermarket, done. It’s a healthy, nourishing, feel-good dinner for a cold winter night.
Easy Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup
So easy, and using only a few simple ingredients, this recipe will be a winner in your house
- 2 cans (400g) creamed corn
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 whole spring onions
- 4 chicken thigh (alternatively you can use half of a roast chicken from the supermarket
- 4 med eggs (seperated)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- Into a large saucepan, empty the creamed corn and stock and bring to the boil on high
- Dice the chicken thigh (or roast chicken) into small pieces and add to the hot liquid.
- lower the temperature of the stove down to medium heat
- Slice the white part of the spring onion finely, add to the pot. Reserve the green part for the garnish
- Let the soup simmer until chicken is cooked through, approximately 10 mins (if using roast chicken that has already been cooked, you do not need to cook until the chicken has been heated through)
- Now prepare the eggs. Seperate the egg whites from the yolks to make the egg 'ribbons'
- Slowly drizzle the egg whites into the soup in long ribbons try not to just clump them in all at once). Don’t mix the soup yet. Leave the egg whites to cook until you see them starting to turn white.
- When you see the egg whites have turned white, take a spoon and very gently stir the soup in a figure 8 motion to break up some of the cooked egg whites.
- So as not to waste the yolks, whisk the yolks in a small bowl and add to the soup, quickly stirring to incorporate the eggs into the soup. The yolks will thicken the soup. Keep stirring to disperse the yolks so they do not clump together
- Add the soy sauce
- Taste the soup and if you feel it needs more salt, add a dash of soy sauce
- Serve the soup into a bowl and garnish with finely sliced green section of the shallot, and drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil
One thought on “Chinese Chicken and Corn Soup”
Just made this tonight and it’s DEEEEELICIOUS! Thank you for the recipe. Yum