Broccoli, peas, spring onions, spinach and a sprinkle of parmesan. Easy!
Greens are high in vitamin C, an antioxidant and immune booster. Folate, responsible for building new cells and providing energy for our body. Greens are also high in potassium which help to regulate our blood pressure as well as fibre for a healthy bowel and amazing ability to lower cholesterol.
Recipe: This was one of my usual ‘make it up as I go’ recipes, but here is a guide for anyone who wants to recreate this healthy soup. You could even use this soup as a pasta sauce.
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock) bring to the boil
- Add 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 finely chopped spring onion
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup washed spinach
As soon as you throw in the veg, turn the heat off.
Stir veg through to cook with the residual heat. Once veg are cooked through (they should be lovely and bright green). The trick here is to not overcook the vegetables in order to retain the nutrients.
Eat as is or blend to make a smooth soup. Serve with some grated parmesan on top!
- You can add a dash of cream or sour cream if you wish.
- Add squash or zuccini.
- Add fresh herbs such as basil, mint or thyme.
- Add lentils or other legumes/beans to add protein, fibre and carbohydrate.
- Add chopped cooked chicken to provide protein.
- Serve with a delicious sourdough bread
5 thoughts on “The Green Machine: Nutritious soup”
Would you mind sharing the recipe for this??
Just popped a recipe up Bec, thanks for stopping by! Let us know if you like it when you make it!
Just popped a recipe up Bec, hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by our blog!
i will try anything green! thanks for the recipe – will let you know how i go over the weekend!
We’d love to hear back from you! Enjoy!